The Survival Horror Labyrinth
Monstrum is a first person survival horror game which finds players stranded aboard a vast, derelict ship filled with traps, environmental hazards, and another passenger in the shape of a terrifying and deadly beast.
With no means to take their pursuer down the player must search the ship to discover a possible means of escape, using their wits and guile to evade the monster hunting them, running, hiding and luring it away with distractions to avoid getting killed.
Combining permadeath, a variety of different hunters and a procedurally generated ship that changes its layout every time, Monstrum is a challenging and punishing game that aims to be a truly replayable horror experience.
Monstrum will be available for release in Autumn 2014 on Windows, with Mac, Linux and Oculus Rift support.
- Multiple Pursuers – Three different monster types, each with different behaviours and tactics means you’ll need to find out what you’re up against before deciding on your plan. Will you be able to work your way out of an ambush or a direct attack after being spotted? And will the same actions work each time?
- Procedural Arena – Each time you load up the game the ship will have a different layout, putting the player’s navigation skills to the test.
- Escape Routes – Choose from multiple escape routes, each of which will require a different combination of items and methods to use, changing with the layout of the ship.
- Dangerous Environment – Even while not being chased you will need to be on your guard, as the ship will be riddled with traps and hazards, ranging from simple alarms that alert the monster to lethal threats.
- Distractions – Use whatever you can find to try and distract the monster to lure it away from you. Leave the lights on in a room you’ve just left, turn on a radio down the hall, throw items down the stairs to make noise, do what you need to avoid detection. And if that fails…
- Hiding – Hide in lockers, under furniture, behind boxes, and hope your fellow passenger wanders on by. And if that fails as well…
- Permadeath – Death is death. Get killed in Monstrum and you’ll be starting again. In a different ship, possibly against a different monster. Good luck. Start running.
Team Junkfish are a games developer based in Dundee, Scotland, founded in Sept. 2013. They have 10 staff and the team are occasionally visited by a ginger cat cleverly named as “CAT!” amongst the team as is considered as the 11th member also.